Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Unaccustomed Earth



Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth came out on April 1st.

Of course, myself being an ardent Lahiri fan, went out to B&N to get it as soon as they had it - and my oh my, it's been a great read!

I like Lahiri's works for her writing style, her diction, her plot structure - and the variety of themes she incorporates in her collection of short stories. This happens to be one such collection - full of stories about relationships - between a father/daugther, a brother/sister, a husband/wife, a man/woman as 'friends', and a lot more.

Her characters tend to be of Bengali origin (for the most part), typically immigrants or children of first-generation immigrants from India. I can, on a certain level, relate to some characters. I think that makes it even a better read - is when you can see a reflection of yourself in a particular character - and when that character is going through a up/down in his/her life - you say to yourself - Yeah, I've been there.

I like the cover too - I think roaring waves symbolize the ongoing predicament and emotional turmoil in each character's mind - something that they sometimes cannot express outwardly.

I'd definitely recommend this book - amazing read over all!

No comments: