Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Books-To-Read List

Not too many years ago, I got into the habit of making a list of the books I've always wanted to read. I went to Borders over the past weekend, and after that trip, I added another 5 books onto my already-too-big list!

Here's the to-read roll -

Yacoubian Building (Alaa-el-Aswany) - A book set in Cairo, in the 1990s, around the time of the first Gulf War. A synopsis I had read in a book review mentioned that it explores many themes that are considered taboo in Arab literature (such as extreme views regarding political correuption, homosexuality, sexual repression, militant nationalism, etc...).


Binodini (Rabindranath Tagore) - This book was turned into a Hindi movie called Chokher Bali. Ever since then, it's been on my list, and I still haven't gotten to it. It's a must-read in the next month or so for me!


Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy) - Ok, I have to admit, this one's been on the list for a long time - but I just never had a chance to get to it (primarily because of it's length). Work life gets the best of me these days, and I've always wanted to read this book when I had ample time on my hand. I better get started, or it'll never get scratched off my list!


Kabul Beauty School (Deborah Rodriguez) - This is an interesting one - and I say so, not because I've read it, but because the blurb on the back of it made me buy it! It's about an American woman who opens a beauty school in Kabul, Afghanistan. It's her journey through the thick life of Kabul and harsh culture shock she initially had to survive through. I'm guessing this should be quite similar (in theme, setting, etc. ) to The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns (both by Khalid Hosseini).


Remember Me? (Sophie Kinsella) - I'm a die-hard Kinsella fan. I've pretty much read all of her Shopaholic books, and they are absolutely hilarious. No kidding, I had to stop myself from reading her books on the bus ride back home from work, because the guy next to me kept staring at me everytime I cracked up (which was waaay too often). Her books are a good stress-relievers and they're usually one-nighter type of books. I cannot cannot cannot wait for this one either!

So, as you can pretty much see, I'm booked for the next good several weeks! Don't hate me if I don't return your calls... ;-)

2 comments:

adamosf said...

You call that a long list? Hah!!

Sneha said...

Hey Mr. S,
Nope, it's not the complete list... this is the 'addition' that I had to make after visiting Borders this past weekend! ;-)