Friday, June 17, 2011

Don't Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight

My intention of reading Don't Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight was not to follow the book and "go on a diet" of some sort. In fact, I don't believe in going on diets... your 'diet' should reflect in your everyday lifestyle and eating habits, and one of the reasons I enjoyed this book was because it pretty much echoed the same sentiment. I picked it up out of general interest in nutrition. Rujuta Diwekar - India's most wanted and celebrity nutritionist - is the author of this book and some of the points she makes really hit home. I quite liked her casual style of writing and the fact that she gets the point across clearly using the fewest of words. I also liked her diction ("lean" instead of "thin"...I was impressed).

What kept me going was that this is a book turned out to be a good supplemental guide. It broke down the basics. It's funny - there was a chapter on Amino Acids and I immediately thought "Amino Acids. Building blocks of protein!" and was quick to pat my back and remember my sixth grade science teacher for having me rattofy the definition. I didn't have too many expectations because it seemed almost too basic, but after I read the chapter, I got a wealth of information out of it on proteins and how one can go way wrong when it comes to incorporating the amount of protein in his or her diet. Anyway, without digressing, the point is that this book starts from ground up and builds up, rather than throwing fancy definitions in your face. The author also gives real life examples, some of which are just hilarious and force you to turn the pages like there's no tomorrow to finish the read.

It was certainly a breath of fresh air from the usual fiction/non-fiction regime. Rujuta, I'm a fan. 

No comments: